OVERVIEW AND QUALIFICATIONS
This course is to provide the diver with the information necessary to utilize EANx as a breathing medium. The course may be taught as a stand-alone specialty course to certified divers or the knowledge and skills training may be integrated into other NAUI certification courses including the NAUI Open Water Scuba Diver course.
Upon successful completion of this course or program, graduates are considered competent to utilize EANx (up to EAN40) in open water diving activities without direct supervision, provided the diving activities and the areas dived approximate those of training.
Minimum age for participation is 10 years (Junior EANx certification) or 15 years (EANx certification). Divers must be in good physical condition to enroll in a NAUI Enriched Air Nitrox Diver course. Participants may be enrolled in a NAUI Scuba Diver Course or must be certified as a NAUI Scuba Diver or equivalent. To enroll, find a NAUI Training Center or instructor near you by visiting the NAUI Dive Center and Professional Locator. Signing up for a class is easy, while wetsuits and fun await!
Continue your training by enrolling in a NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver, NAUI Enriched Air Nitrox Diver, NAUI Rescue Scuba Diver or NAUI First Aid course.
Open Water Dives: 2 dives
REQUIREMENTS – SKILLS
- Practical Skills
- Demonstrate the use of ODIGTML Dive Planning or address each of the elements in the ODIGTML format
- For the EANx certification at least two dives are to be planned using EANx, one of which must be a repetitive dive.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze breathing gas
- Scuba Diving (open water dives are encouraged but not required.)
- Two dives are to be safely executed Adhering to the dive plan using EANx, one of which a repetitive dive.
- The Student is to analyze of their own breathing mixture.
- Age. Minimum is 15 years by the water phase of the course. (Junior certification for ages 10-14 years is allowed. See “Policies Applying to All Courses: Age, Junior Certification.”)
- Certification/Experience/Knowledge. Current enrollment in a NAUI Instructor conducted scuba course or certification as a NAUI Open Water Scuba Diver or the equivalent is required. The instructor is to ensure adequate student knowledge and capability before any open water training and shall use skill or other evaluations to do so. One open water dive (which does not count toward the minimum number of dives required for the course) may be used as a screening and evaluation dive. This is not required when the student’s diving proficiencies are well known to the instructor.
- Equipment. Students shall furnish and be responsible for the care and maintenance of their own diving equipment. The instructor shall initially assist the student in checking all student gear to ensure it is adequate and in proper working order.